Greek life on a college campus encompasses a variety of complex issues and concerns. Harbor Institute’s team represent all nine African-American Collegiate Greek-Lettered Fraternities and Sororities (the “Divine Nine”), and has a multitude of diverse experiences. To address the myriad of challenges facing Black Greek members and their advisors, we have launched the Miseducation of the Black Greek Initiative. Through this initiative we strive to assess and evaluate risk management, academic program completion, improve organizational management skills and cultural competency.
Accordingly, the Harbor Institute has launched separate short-term and long-term strategies to achieve these goals:
|Dynamic and Engaging Campus-Based Program/Training - The Miseducation of the Black Greek||Creative and Customized Campus-Based Training - The Miseducation of the Black Greek||Innovative and Full-Immersion 1-2 Day Conferences - The Miseducation of the Black Greek||Customized Campus Curriculums and Assessment Strategies - The Miseducation of the Black Greek|
|XPERIENCE! ™||BOOTCAMP! ™||ROADTRIP! ™||IMMERSION! ™|
The Miseducation of the Black Greek XPERIENCE!
- Relevancy of BGLOs in today's society + the relationship between Black Leadership in society
- What value/benefits do BGLOs offer members?
- Evolution of pledge process, stepping and probate shows and the impact they have today
- Balancing these BGLO traditions with the purposes of the organizations
- The relationship and influences between BGLOs and Multicultural Greek Lettered Orgs
- Action steps that non-members can take to join BGLOs
- Action steps that BGLO members can take to improve their organizations
XPERIENCE! can be customized for the following programs:
- Anti-Hazing Week
- Mandatory Anti-Hazing Session
- Mandatory MIP Session
- Freshman Orientation
- Black History Month
- Women’s History Month
- Meet the Greeks
A customized, interactive, exciting multimedia educational presentation open to the entire campus that is designed to increase understanding about Black Greeks, raise awareness and empower communities through their positive impact. The session covers:
- Purpose, mission and origins of Black Greek Lettered Organizations (BGLOs)
- Addressing the stereotype that "All Members Do is Step and Stroll"
The Miseducation of the Black Greek BOOTCAMP!
A customized, intense, and engaging training session (open to Black Greek members) that addresses issues such as intake, pledging, hazing, membership recruitment, retention, personal and organizational leadership and African-American history as it relates to Black Greeks.
BOOTCAMP!can be customized for the following programs:
- Anti-Hazing Training
- Mandatory Divine Nine Training
- Prioritizing Academic Success
- D9 New Member Institute
- Leadership Training
- NPHC Retreat
- All Greek Retreat
- Regional “Roundups”
The Miseducation of the Black Greek ROADTRIP!
The Miseducation of the Black Greek ROADTRIP! is an affordable, exciting, innovative full immersion conference experience that is designed to empower undergraduate members of historically African-American Collegiate Greek-lettered fraternities and sororities, undergraduate students with an interest in learning more about these organizations (and how to work more effectively with them) and student service professionals and advisors who work closely with these groups.
ROADTRIP! is recommended for:
- Campuses who seek to increase chapter sizes
- Neophyte Members
- New NPHC advisors
- NPHC Executive Board members
- Divine Nine Chapter officers
For more information and to register for the 4th Annual Miseducation of the Black Greek ROADTRIP! click here.
The Miseducation of the Black Greek IMMERSION!
A comprehensive, semester-long class (at least an hour-long class) that is required for students interested in joining a Black Greek organization. The class is based on a customized curriculum that HI develops. Topics include cultural empowerment, personal and student leadership, risk management, and conflict management and resolution. The class is recommended for campuses that face challenges concerning membership intake and hazing issues, small chapter numbers, or poor/average academic performance by Black Greek members. Institutions that currently license Harbor’s curriculum include Howard University and The Ohio State University.
IMMERSION! is recommended for the following institutions that have:
- A need for a sustained infrastructure to face challenges with Divine Nine Organizations
- A need to provide sustained support for Greek Advisors who seek expertise with Divine Nine Organizations
- Conducted an assessment of their Divine Nine community and implemented recommendations
- Resulting from the study
For more information and to order the IMMERSION! curriculum click here.
"The program was very insightful and needed. I say needed because on this campus, people don't have the correct view of Greeks... The program was awesome and thank you for it."
University of Tampa student (Tampa, FL)
"I learned valuable information and knowledge that I will use as a new professional. I never thought about the historical context for recruitment or the idea of recruitment. I believe having a training workshop as a new member is beneficial and something I hope to extend to my own chapter."
University Graduate Assistant
"I want to extend you my deepest gratitude for having taken your time to come all the way to the Twin Cities to deepen our understanding of the real black Greek culture."
University of Minnesota – Twin Cities student (Minneapolis, MN)
2020 Pennsylvania Ave NW #550
Washington, District of Columbia 20006